Type of farm?
• Responsible for any and all livestock needs at Apricot Lane Farms.
• This is hourly position is structured as a six-day/week position, 6:30 AM – 4PM with a 1/2 hour lunch break. However, farming by nature, requires long hours. Therefore, this position may require early mornings and late nights, and on call duties.
• Performs daily tasks including, but not limited to, tending to the water and food of all animals, sheering sheep, moving animals from one area to another, organizing supplies, building & moving fences, moving chicken coops, monitoring grass levels, closing chicken coop doors, and mucking stalls.
• Assist and facilitate the vetting of animals, under the direction of the Livestock Manager and John Chester.
• Perform mowing, fertilizer application, cultivating, spraying and more in the animal pastures of Apricot Lane as needed.
• Assists in the birth of all animals across the property and may be on call at all hours of the day or night to do so.
• On call as needed to conduct night visits to check on sick animals, nursing animals or animals that are left out in the pasture or orchard.
• Responsible for training and overseeing the work of WWOOFer assistants as related to livestock/pastures.
• Support the farm’s needs outside of all core responsibilities, including, but not limited to, irrigation work, supporting the needs of the orchards, building structures, installing and repairing fencing, tractor operation, running errands and addressing reasonable requests by Farm Management.
• Ability to maintain clear communication with others
• Detail oriented
• Sincere passion for livestock/animals and the land/animals/ecosystem (especially soil!)
• PREFERRED 6 months to a year farm experience with livestock
• PREFERRED 6 months or more farm experience
• PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED with Holistic Animal Husbandry
• PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED 6 months or more farm experience with Organic Animal Husbandry
• PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED Animal Welfare Certification
• PREFERRED experience with tractor
• Comfortable with MS Office – Word and Excel
• Must live within 30 minutes of the Farm*
*Potential opportunity to live on the farm may be available with additional responsibilities.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Livestock and Pasture Maintenance Assistant
Apricot Lane Farms is a 214-acre organic and biodynamic farm looking for a Livestock and Pasture Maintenance assistant. This program utilizes biodynamic and rotational practices. Equally as important to caring for the livestock is caring for the land and soil on which they are raised. The Livestock/Pasture Maintenance Assistant oversees all aspects of the daily care, feeding, and life support system maintenance of our diverse collection of animals and pastures.
This position work will include work with volunteers from our WWOOF program on a daily basis.