Type of farm?
• Daily communication with the farm manager regarding short-, mid-, and long-term plans and projects
• Direction, management, and motivation of crew members in conjunction with the farm manager, or based on communication with the farm manager
• Assistance with inventorying, quality control, and record keeping across all farm operations
• Daily chores, such as animal care and egg collection/wash, watering the greenhouse, etc.
• All aspects of field production, including propagation, transplanting, cultivation, irrigation, pest/disease control, mowing, and greenhouse management
• Harvest and post-harvest clean-up and organization of flowers, mushrooms, and other produce
• Simple tractor work such as tilling, mowing, and hauling of materials
• Assistance with farm infrastructure projects such as fencing, drip irrigation, and high tunnel repairs
• Delivery of produce to chefs and markets one to two times per week
• At least one to two years of vegetable/flower farm experience or other relevant work experience
• Competence with basic hand tools, power tools, and light machinery
• Ability to repeatedly lift 50 lbs
• Understanding of field management and plant care
• Must be comfortable working with and around chickens, dogs, and cats
• Experience with leading others and giving direction
• Willingness to give and receive feedback
• Strong communication and time management skills
• Good attitude and work ethic with a desire to take initiative
• Must have a valid driver’s license and means of transportation
The farm’s staff is currently comprised of the farm manager and two crew members, who work closely with the farm owners throughout the year to ensure that the farm is meeting operational, financial, and aesthetic expectations. We are looking for a field manager who can coordinate with the farm manager to organize daily tasks and direct other crew members as needed. Because our staff and operations are relatively small, this role will involve helping with all aspects of the farm. However, we are especially interested in candidates who would like to take on significant leadership of our tomato and flower operations, as these are our most complex and labor-intensive crops. This is currently a seasonal full-time position lasting from February to October, with the possibility of long-term employment. This is a wonderful position for someone looking to work long term with a tightly-knit crew on a young, dynamic farm where learning opportunities abound. We are in a state of growth and transition, and the ideal candidate would be eager to contribute ideas and take on significant responsibility.
Please send a detailed resume and letter of intent.
Anderson Acres is a small-scale, diversified farm located on a 200-acre, privately owned property. About five acres of the land is dedicated to agriculture. We produce log-cultivated mushrooms, specialty cut flowers, heirloom tomatoes, and pasture-raised eggs for our local chefs and markets. In addition, we maintain a small vegetable and herb plot to provide fresh food for the farm owners and farm crew. From June to September we operate a weekend farm stand located on the property.
Outside of these established operations, the property is mostly wooded with horse trails throughout. It is beautiful and diverse, with plenty of learning and exploration opportunities for someone self-motivated and inquisitive. The property also includes the home and surrounding gardens of the land owners as well as the full-time, year-round residence of the farm and property managers.